Achieving that Korean drama look might not be as out of reach as you think. Dyson tapped its ambassador and one of the top Korean hairstylists, Kim Sunwoo, to host a virtual styling session. He taught us how to achieve sought-after styles like C-curl blowouts, soft waves, and air bangs using the new Dyson Airwrap.
He is the owner and co-founder of Woosun, a Cheongdam-based salon that caters to A-list clients like Park Min Young, Seo Ye Ji, BLACKPINK members, Irene Kim, and more.
You can get that look by following these steps:
1. Start with towel-dried hair. Apply your preferred styling product and comb your hair with a detangling comb. When styling, the Korean hairstylist said the first stage of styling is to break the “temporary” bonds in the hair so that you can reshape it. You can typically achieve this by either wetting the hair or by heat.
2. You should rough dry your hair to 80% using the Dyson Airwrap’s Coanda Smoothing Dryer attachment. According to Sunwoo, switch the toggle to the drying mode and choose low heat and high airflow settings.
3. To get the voluminous curls and waves, use the 40mm Airwrap barrel and switch your Airwrap’s heat setting to high while keeping the high airflow option. Hold it to the middle of your hair and allow the Coanda airflow from the barrel to attract and wrap your hair around it. Hold it in place until the strands dry, and then set the style with a cold shot for five to 10 seconds before slowly releasing the curl.
4. Twist the cool tip on the barrel to change the airflow direction for the next hair tress. This professional Korean hairstylist said you have to keep alternating directions to achieve a more natural curl.
5. When you’re done curling your hair, you can focus on the air bangs. Use the Dyson Airwrap Soft Smoothing Brush attachment to create volume from the roots of the hair. Choose high heat and airflow settings and place the brush under the fringe to lift the hair. The higher the lift, the rounder and more natural the shape of the bangs will be. Use the 30mm curling barrel to create the air bangs and comb through them again with the Soft Smoothing Brush. Sunwoo suggests using the Firm Smoothing Brush if you have frizz-prone hair.
6. Lastly, use the smoothing mode of the Dyson Airwrap Coanda Smoothing Dryer on medium speed and low heat to hide flyaways and finish off the look. The Korean hairstylist said you should start at the front left of the parting and smooth over the top section, leaving out the ends.
Photos and screenshots courtesy of Dyson
Will you try this on your own? Let us know on social media! We also want to know what other Life Upgrade stories we should work on!